Top 10 tips when hiring Domestic Staff
Top 10 tips when hiring Domestic Staff
Impressively, in this article, we are handing you Top 10 tips when hiring Domestic Staff. Obviously, for in depth help, please contact us today on: +442032900142 or email@example.com
Needless to say, domestic staff for your home and family can be a stressful process. Alongside finding the staff member with the right skills and experience, it’s not just as simple as the right personality match. Of course, you have to ensure that the candidate is honest, trustworthy and above all who they say they are. However, for us as an agency, it is easy and we cover all bases. Oftentimes, our clients have never really thought about what type of household pressures and priorities they live with. Therefore, if you are just starting to think about the possibility of hiring domestic staff, here are our 10 Top tips when hiring domestic staff.
Our top 10 tips when hiring Domestic Staff
When it comes to finding the right domestic staff for you, here are your Top Tips
- If you were a magician, which household tasks would be taken care of? Obviously, your priorities will help define your ideal domestic staff member. For example, do you entertain alot? If so, importance of polished service skills would probably be important. Or, do you have OCD? Then a top cleaner with meticulous eye for details may be essential for you.
- Moreover, how formal is your family? You may want a very formal butler or a friendly, informal chef. Of course, personality types don’t have to be identical your own, but they should be complementary to your ideas of a great member of staff. Finally, just talk to us about us and we’ll do the rest.
- Importantly, think of any must-haves in addition to the standard requirements of the role. Needless to say, consider things like if your staff must be dog lovers, or be able to drive, or to speak Spanish, or be prepared to work some weekends, just let us know.
Top advice when hiring home staff. Continued….
A professional agency (like ourselves) are experts on the subject. Here is our guide to the best ways to protect your family and your home.
4. Multiple Interviews
Many of our clients will ask their PA to conduct the first round of interviews. Even if you decide that you want to conduct the first round of interviews (or indeed don’t have a PA), arrange at least two interviews. This will give you a clear feel of the candidate and allow you to see them on different occasions. With domestic staff recruitment it is always better to be safe rather than sorry.
5. Ask a friend, or family member to join you, as multiple people whom you trust can help interpret the candidate background. Different approaches to interview will help glean different information.
6. Trial. Needless to say, we always recommend trialing a candidate before you hire them. This can give you a clear insight into the way they act and behave and this may differ to how they have conducted themselves in interview. You don’t want to get tied down employing someone who isn’t right for the positions, so ensure that you conduct a trial or a probationary period
Also ensure that the candidate is supervised during the trial, for example if it is a Nanny position, you can allow the candidate to spend some time alone with the children getting to know them, but do this in a safe space. Domestic staff recruitment places your family or property in a vulnerable position – so make sure you protect yourself.
References and more
7. The importance of references
One of the most important steps in domestic staff recruitment is to check the candidates references. Ideally you should call them, verify the dates they worked for the person, and get a general outline of the duties they conducted. As for both a personality reference and then a work reference (as they might be very different). Ask them what the reason was that they left (if that is appropriate) and if they would recommend them.
By checking these references yourself you will have a good idea as to the candidate’s working history. From time to time it can prove difficult for our candidate to obtain references, particularly if they have worked for a very VIP or HNW family. However in this instance as an agent we accept letter headed references sent to us. Even VIP and HNW clients have PAs who can verify employment history. In domestic staff recruitment you should be very wary of a candidate who says that they cannot get references.
8. Police check
A DBS check is a government check that employers ask to see as proof of criminal history, or lack thereof. Not all candidates have them (as some clients don’t request them). We recommend that all clients who consider hiring staff look to acquire a copy of the candidates DBS. You can’t do this on your own, you have to ask an agent (like ourselves) or a company to process one. If the candidate has lived abroad this can take slightly longer to process as the British government reaches out to the international departments.
When the DBS comes back, it will be sent directly to the candidates current address and the agent then requests a copy. As the client you can be sent the copy by the agent or the candidate. It will either come back clear (which is the most common) or it will not. When working with or around children it is vital that you require the candidate to have a DBS for protecting the children. A DBS is a vital step for any domestic staff recruitment.
Last 2 pieces of advice:
9. Additional Background Checks when you hire domestic staff
Although a DBS check is a good way to show criminal history, many of our VIP and HNW clients want to have a greater peace of mind. After all, we’ve all heard about horror stories and we want to avoid them. Therefore the next logical step is to do a detailed background check on the candidate you are looking to hire.
10. Trust your Gut!
Even if you’ve followed all the steps above, the most important thing to do is trust your gut during the domestic staff recruitment process. If something doesn’t feel right, don’t ignore it. Clients can exhaust all the above list and still not feel something is right. Trust your instincts!
Hire staff with Bespoke Bureau
You can get in touch with us today by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone: +442032900142 and one of our experienced consultants will get in touch with you. We look forward to hearing from you to discuss your staff recruitment.
- First of all, there’s no fuss in hire domestic staff with us.
- Secondly, we will see that you get the best staff.
- Thirdly, the domestic staff with us will arrive on a time and day that suits a person’s needs and not the other way around.
- Moreover, we will make sure that you are happy or you can swap the staff within 12 months and this is a unique, unrivalled guarantee that we offer.
- Of course, our staff do more than just clean a house, they care for it.
- Impressively, they create a warm, inviting and positive atmosphere within the home.
- Finally, our clients can get on with other tasks and they can rest with the knowledge that they will be able to come to a tidy home.
Long established domestic staff hire service
Since 2003, we have grown to be the largest household staffing agency in the UK. Impressively, our expert and caring team has over 2
00 years of combined experience in the placement of nannies, chefs, butlers, chauffeurs, housekeepers, house/estate managers, personal assistants, baby nurses, domestic couples, laundress/ladies maids and much more.
So, how does a person hire domestic staff for their home?
You are safe when you hire housekeeper with Bespoke Bureau
Our reputable household staff agency will:
- provide you with the housekeeper’s CV
- provide you with the housekeepers’ employment references.
- conduct CRB checks on your request.
- meet with or skype the housekeepers.
- only take on recommended housekeepers.
- provide experienced housekeepers.
- train the housekeepers at our academy.
All of the above is done so that you can rest assured that you are hiring the best person for the job.
More info about Bespoke Bureau’s service
- First of all, our recruitment consultants are experienced in finding the right person for you. By the same token, they work on set salaries. As a result, they tend to not be pushy. Similarly, they work alongside you as a team. Correspondingly, this enables you to make the right choice for your household.
- Impressively, based in the prestigious heart of London (Guildhall in the city) we are famous for being the best of the best and for the past 15+ years and now a franchise, we pride ourselves to constantly deliver an excellent service.
- Needless to say, Bespoke Bureau specialises in the recruitment of housekeepers, household staff internationally including House/Estate Managers, Butlers, Housekeepers, Chefs, Nannies and Gardeners.
- Impressively, over the years we have built a strong relationship with domestic staff candidates and private NHW and other clients alike which has led to new opportunities that enable us to provide a more comprehensive service with our clients’ needs in mind.
- Last but not least, for assistance and advice on all the services we offer, please contact us and we will be delighted to help you.
Ps: We can come and visit you, speak on the phone or you can come to us.
Contact us for more info
Give us a ring on +442032900142. You can also email us on email@example.com to discuss options.
Kind regards, Sara Vestin Rahmani and Team
Watch us on our internet channels: