Domestic Staff for Royals
Domestic Staff For Royals
27 March 2012
The Royal Household is advertising for a trainee butler to provide “the highest standards in the service of wine, food, valeting, messenger duties and reception”. The expected number of Butler applicants for a role like this will be in excess of a hundred. Many people are looking for butler employment in royal households in the UK and overseas.
Domestic staff for royals-The job spec advertised by the queen
The official job description outlines the purpose of the role: “To provide the highest standards in the service of wine, food, valeting, messenger duties and reception in a friendly and efficient manner.”
The trainee butler’s responsibilities would include:
- Assisting in the setting, clearing and serving of meals
- Valeting for guests and royals, “ensuring that clothes and uniforms are cared for to the highest standards”
- Messenger duties, “ensuring that all post, pouches, despatch boxes and messages are delivered to Members of the Royal Family and employees in a timely manner”
- “To collect and deliver tea/coffee trays, breakfast trays and newspapers for Royal and Household purposes in an efficient and discreet manner”
- The advert states that previous experience working in the catering and hospitality sector would be an advantage.
- Essential skills include good time management, confident communication and team-working, as well as “a friendly, polite and approachable disposition with the ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality”.
- The Royal Household is also advertising for a linen keeper to run the linen room at Windsor Castle.
John Maguire went to find out what it would like to be a domestic staff for royals.